Fish Channel Logo

Profile Picture

how long do black skirt tetras live?

Posted By Slroo 7 Years Ago
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Starting Member

Starting Member (100 reputation)Starting Member (100 reputation)Starting Member (100 reputation)Starting Member (100 reputation)Starting Member (100 reputation)Starting Member (100 reputation)Starting Member (100 reputation)Starting Member (100 reputation)Starting Member (100 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I have had my black skirts for a year now, and the coworker who gave them to ( forced them upon) me said they were already 4 yrs old.  (or at least one of them was)  So they are 5 yrs old now....is that unusual?  How long do these guys live, anyway??

goldlenny
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/beginnerinfo/a/lifespan.htm has them listed at 5 years.... but read on.

While FreshAquarium.about.com is not a site that I normally recommend, it is one of the few I've found that have actually attempted to compile a list of fish lifespans.  They probably have the numbers on the low side and used some kind of median lifespan age since they have goldfish at 10-30 years.  All goldfish should live for more than 10 years and most should live closer to the 25-30 year mark.  Just like many Betta sites show 4-5 years but there are more and more cases of them living longer when people keep them in a proper set up.... a filtered and heated tank, instead of a quart sized bowl/vase.

Maybe I need to start a new thread here on how long fish live and update their list to show current numbers of "How Long SHOULD fish live?", rather than how long they do live due to the overstocking, poor water parameters and stunting that shortens their lives so often.

Lenny V. a/k/a GoldLenny

PINNED TOPIC - A to Z of Fish Keeping:"How-To", Training & Information Page For New Fish Keepers & Experts alike.

Clickmy BlogButton below for BETTER rules to replace the 1" per gallon FISH KILLING rule.

65 G Goldfish:3 - Fancy Goldfish (3-4" each - body), 1 - 10" Common Pleco (Liposarcus Pardalis)

20 G Tropical:1 - Blue/Opaline Gouramis (3"), 2- AlbinoBuenos AiresTetras (2 1/2")

10G: Plants and ramshorn snails

supergrandma
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)

I've had my Black Skirts for over six years, and they're as healthy as ever. Mine are more like "Gray Skirts," though, because these fish lose their intense black coloring as they age.

29 Gallon: Angelfish

29 Gallon: Tiger Barbs

20 Gallon: Tropical Community

10 Gallon: Male Betta

Pyrannus
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Starting Member

Starting Member (126 reputation)Starting Member (126 reputation)Starting Member (126 reputation)Starting Member (126 reputation)Starting Member (126 reputation)Starting Member (126 reputation)Starting Member (126 reputation)Starting Member (126 reputation)Starting Member (126 reputation)

Hi,

May i know How big is your tetra now? I have this  6month old black skirt tetra that almost 2" in total lenght. Geeezuz, they eat like a hungry pig.

Avoid nipping eachother fins..Hehe

30g Natural habitat Tank

4 - Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi ( Blue Ram)

50g Community Tank

3-Aequidens Rivulatus (Green Terror)

3 Herichthys Cynoguttatus (Texas)

1-Thorichthys Meeki  (Firemouth)

1-Acanthicus Adonis (Upside down cat) 

1-Labeo Frenatum -  ( Rainbow shark)

75g Saltwater Tank

Saltwater Fishless Cycling 

Pyrannus

goldlenny
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)Advanced Member (3,226 reputation)

I have a couple of Albino Buenos Aires Tetras and if they are any indication of the tetra species in general, they are all voracious eaters.  I swear mine look like they are a tarpon hitting the food on the top of the water and making a splash when they do.

Lenny V. a/k/a GoldLenny

PINNED TOPIC - A to Z of Fish Keeping:"How-To", Training & Information Page For New Fish Keepers & Experts alike.

Clickmy BlogButton below for BETTER rules to replace the 1" per gallon FISH KILLING rule.

65 G Goldfish:3 - Fancy Goldfish (3-4" each - body), 1 - 10" Common Pleco (Liposarcus Pardalis)

20 G Tropical:1 - Blue/Opaline Gouramis (3"), 2- AlbinoBuenos AiresTetras (2 1/2")

10G: Plants and ramshorn snails