Baby bristlenose plecos

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » General Freshwater » Baby bristlenose plecosJoin the Club

Baby bristlenose plecos Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/27/2010 8:03:56 PM
I came back from shopping this afternoon to find 5 brand new baby bristlenose plecos in my 155 gallon tank.  I had not planned on raising any baby plecos and had no idea they were on their way, specially since the male albino bristlenose disappeared a while back.  Fortunately I had a nursery tank ready to receive them.  I'll skip the long story, but I already have 3 baby boesemani rainbows (also totally unexpected) and about 12-13 baby gold dust mollies (did I mention they were not planned?) in a 12-gal tank.  The boesemani are about 5 weeks old and the mollies are less than 1 week.  So all the kids are about the same size, about 1/2 inch long, they all like higher temperatures and they should be OK with each other for now.

So, a few questions:
1.- What do I feed the plecos?  I read on the Internet that they live for 3-4  days on their yolk sac in a protected cave set up for them by their father, then they appear in the tank and they are ready for grown up bristlenose foods such as fresh veggies, algae wafers, etc.  The Internet also mentioned baby fish food and the kind of algae/seaweed sheet you give marine fish.  I had all of those, so I put a small piece of a wafer in the tank that turned into a feast for the mollies and rainbows, and all the snails in the tank. The plecos did not get any.  I could put baby fish food, the powder kind, but since they seem to spend their time sucking the tank walls, I don't see how they could get to it.  I did put a small piece of a seaweed sheet on a clip, we'll see if it gets eaten.  Right now they seem content with cleaning the algae of the tank walls, I'll go to the store tomorrow and get some veggies, zucchini or such. Organic only, of course, those fish eat better than I do.

2.-  It seems that the father pleco is in charge of protecting the fertilized eggs from predators and fanning them for about 10 days, and then after the fry are born he protects them some more for a few days until they are ready to come out of the cave.  My male bristlenose may not be dead after all, he may just be a great daddy.  I thought he had disappeared for longer than that, but maybe he is just hiding.  That's the good part.  The puzzling part is that both parents are albino and 4 out of 5 babies are grey, only one is albino.  How is that possible?  I thought albino was a recessive trait and that if both parents have it then the babies have to be albino too?  By the way, the grey ones are also pretty, they have a silver shine to them, they shine like gold tetras.

3.-  If the grey offspring of 2 albino parents is impossible, then, could  plecos of very different species mate and have viable offspring?  The only other pleco in that tank is an imperial ranger pleco. The ranger is officially a "Pterygoplichthys punctatus", a large fish from the loricariidae family.  The albino bristlenose mother is a dwarf ancistrus, also from the loricariidae family.  Are those compatible?

4.-  Anything else I should know about how to rear baby plecos?  What other questions should I be asking?

Thanks. 

Repeat after me, slowly:  

I don’t need another tank… I don’t need another tank… I don’t need another tank… I don’t need another tank… I don’t need another tank… I don’t need another tank      

Post #143005
Posted 3/9/2008 7:47:24 AM

ModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModerator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 6/21/2012 6:30:34 PM
Leave pieces of veggies -- zucchini and potato are what I have used. Just a piece the size of a penny -- nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds. The baby plecs will get the idea soon, and you will see them all feeding regularly. Replace it with new piece every day. Good luck.

Local Fish Stores -- "The Heart of the Hobby"  

Post #143015
Posted 3/9/2008 8:19:56 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 3/5/2011 8:14:19 AM
Congratulations on your unexpected success! You must be doing something right with your tanks!

Will you be able to post some pictures? I'm sure they're all adorable...

----------------------------------------
125g Predator Tank -
Gar, Venezuelan Pike, Red bay snook, Albino Channel Catfish, Indonesian Tiger Datnoid, Climbing perch, Procambarus clarkii (Crayfish)

125g SA/CA communtiy -
angelfish, geophagus brasiliensis, bolivian rams, bleeding heart tetra's, dragon goby, tilapia, green severum, bristlenose pleco, thomasi pleco, black ghost knife, motoro stingray, acherfish, congo tetra, tiger barb

55g growout -
Shortnose gars, Green ear sunfish, bluegill, Friedrichsthalii cichlid, managuense, sun catfish, nigerian bichir, anthurus pike cichlids (pair)

20L -
true Spotted Gar, Lepidota pike cichlids, Thick Lipped Gourami, Banjo Catfish, Kuhli Loaches

29G -
1 Female False Map Turtle

20T -
Feeder tank

3,000g+ pond -
75 Feeder comets starting bacterial cycle
Will house all shortnose gars, bluegill, sunfish, and channel catfish, plus others as I collect them.[/size]
Post #143019
Posted 3/9/2008 8:35:21 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Well, we're up to 7 baby plecos, 2 albino and 5 in various shades of grey.  They're adorable and also impossible to photograph clearly.  They're on fresh veggies for now, then, and 4 of them seem to love the piece of algae/seaweed.  The albino ones, you can see their tiny heart beating.

Repeat after me, slowly:  

I don’t need another tank… I don’t need another tank… I don’t need another tank… I don’t need another tank… I don’t need another tank… I don’t need another tank      

Post #143058
Posted 3/9/2008 8:41:38 PM

Fish Moderator

Fish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 3/7/2014 4:42:13 PM
They're so cute!!

55 gallon
Baby - lionhead/ryukin cross
Westie - lionhead/ryukin cross
Speedy Rodriguez - oranda
Currently searching for a good new tankmate!

planted 29 gallon
3 red eye tetras
4 cherry barbs
2 cardinal tetras
4 albino cories
2 Bolivian rams
Post #143060
Posted 3/10/2008 1:40:52 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 9/29/2008 3:41:31 PM
They are cute.  To bad they are so expense because I would like to buy one.  Maybe one day I will.  Thanks for sharing pictures.
Post #143092
Posted 3/10/2008 1:48:34 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 12/22/2009 12:04:38 PM
CUTE!

Jfish13

Post #143093
Posted 3/10/2008 10:04:48 PM

A great Daddy I tell you!  The male albino bristlenose pleco reappeared in the tank this morning after a paternal leave of absence of a few weeks.  He is a little thin but eating eagerly.  I presume it means those are his babies after all.  So 2 albino parents can have a majority of non-albino offspring?  That's weird.  And they must be very young.  Both parents are barely 3 inches long tail included.  In addition to the algae naturally growing in the tank, the babies are being fed pieces of algae/seaweed sheets, green peas, and zucchini. 

Repeat after me, slowly:  

Post #143144
Posted 3/10/2008 10:43:57 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 1/6/2012 10:38:47 AM
Some species of fish will not always produce the same color fry it's normal. You could try to breed one of the fry with another albino pleco and you should get some albino fry. If you do decide to do that I heard that using the female will give you a higher rate of success. I am not 100% sure It's just what I read somewhere. I think it was on another forum. One of the members on that forum used that method with electric blue jack dempseys. Except He used one of the female offspring and bred it with the father.

65 Gallon Tank Planted High light co2 injected
-2 German Rams
-1 Gold Ram
-3 Apistogramma cacatuoides Triple Red
-10 Otto Cats  
-1 Gold Angel 

30 Gallon Planted low light no co2
-1 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey
-3 Otto Cats

10 Gallon Tank Planted. low light no co2 (At the office)
-6 Class N Endlers Black Bars (Pure Strain)
-a lot of cherry shrimp 
Post #143146
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:55am