Fish Channel Logo

Profile Picture

Fish swimming close to the top of tank

Posted By jasminehill 6 Years Ago
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
For the past few days my fish in my 60gal hex have been swimming close to the top for the most part...they dont stay up there but they are there more than usual....should I be concerned?

As soon as I noticed it just to be safe I did and immediate 60% water change......also I had added a few new fish a few days ago could this be the reason? And just for temp in case they werent getting enough oxygen I added another filter .......amonia levels are fine and I know your gonna ask about the nitrates and all those other test Ermm but I dont have test for this and if this stays the same then tomorrow i will go have the water checked at the LFS. thx!

Photobucket

Butch2693
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Starting Member

Starting Member (186 reputation)Starting Member (186 reputation)Starting Member (186 reputation)Starting Member (186 reputation)Starting Member (186 reputation)Starting Member (186 reputation)Starting Member (186 reputation)Starting Member (186 reputation)Starting Member (186 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I would check the dissolved oxygen level. Either add another airstone or better yet add a powerhead to increase the amount of oxygen in the water. Are the fish gasping while they are at the top? It could also be a disease but if all your fish are at the top it is more likely oxygen.

FattFishy
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)

Usually, the oxygen levels are low due to high temperatures. Are you experiencing that? I mean above 80 degrees fahrenheit.

I'm assuming you know what cycling is and is it cycled? How long has the tank been established?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cut Here

If life gives you lemons, squeeze them into people's eyes and run away!

}<(((0>

jasminehill
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)Senior Member (1,756 reputation)

ok ill add the airstone right now......they arent staying at the top just hanging out up there a little longer than most...........and no not all of them but the redtipped shark has gone up a few times and Ive never seen him up there. What causes the oxygen problem....and Im new to alot of these fish terms like nitrates and ph and all that so please put it in blondes terms lol ............oh btw no offense to blondes I am one LOL Kiss

Photobucket

jasminehill
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

do you mean the temp of the water? because I did notice last evening it was a little warm around 82 I turned it down a little but havent checked it today.............one sec...ok just checked the temp its down to 79 now and just put in an airstone its about halfway down the tank as its a 60 gal hex does it need to be at the bottom or does it matter? thx

Photobucket

FattFishy
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)Senior Member (1,780 reputation)

79 degrees should be fine. Maybe it's just that they wanted to do something else...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cut Here

If life gives you lemons, squeeze them into people's eyes and run away!

}<(((0>

austin123
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)

I think the airstone should be close to the gravel so the air cirrculates through the water more.

The Rainforest Site

Edited 6 Years Ago by austin123
jsmith11618
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Oxygen enters the water from the surface and some tanks offer a better surface for this to happen then others, for instance a long tank generally has more surface area for the gas exchange to take place vs a tall aquarium.

If the fish are using oxygen faster then the gas exchange taking place then you have fish that are not so happy. Adding the air stone should assist in this.

Nitrate is the by product of the bacteria that is converting the toxins in your tank.

Starts with Ammonia and bacteria and the by product of that is nitrite and more bacteria convert that to nitrate. Nitrate is the least toxic of the 3 and fish can handle more of it in the water then the previous 2 which should be 0 in a properly cycled and stocked tank. Nitrate is removed during water changes and that is normally sufficient to keep the level down.

PH is s the measure of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution. Most fish are fine with a range of PH as long as it is stable, some species are more picky then others though, African Cichlids for example are best kept at a higher pH.

29 gallon f/w glowlight tetra's, 4 cories, Neon tetra, zebra danio.

29g f/w convict cichlid.

10g s/w Percula Clown

austin123
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)Average Member (556 reputation)

Why are there so many things for keeping fish but in the wild they have NOTHING!!!

The Rainforest Site

jsmith11618
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)Senior Member (1,794 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
austin123 (9/27/2008)
Why are there so many things for keeping fish but in the wild they have NOTHING!!!

In the wild they are not in a closed system, the waste is constantly being moved away by current and used by other living creatures like plants, the waters surface is almost always being broken by currents, other animals etc.

Water is being added/removed to/from the system in nature by rain, rivers, streams etc.

Even in nature pH, ammonia etc is present, nature just takes care of it all and when the water cannot support the life in it, life starts to die and reproduction slows.

If one could afford it and had a constant supply of water entering and leaving the aquarium filters could be abolished, but thats exspensive and not very eco-friendly with the vast amounts of water that would be used.

There is nothing natural about an aquarium.

29 gallon f/w glowlight tetra's, 4 cories, Neon tetra, zebra danio.

29g f/w convict cichlid.

10g s/w Percula Clown

Edited 6 Years Ago by jsmith11618