Fish Channel Logo

Profile Picture

Mystery Snail Eggs

Posted By Fishlover5 5 Years Ago
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
My Gold Mystery Snail just layed eggs. There is no male in the tank; she is alone. I have a few questions I would like answered:  How long untill the eggs hatch? Where can I find homes for them after? How can I humanely dispose of the eggs? What should I do with them? How can I remove them off the tank wall? What do I feed them when they hatch? Thanks for any help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10/31/09 Bought Jade and Houndini!

12/06/09 Houndini molted for the first time!

5/4/10 THE DAY I MET CHUCK NORRIS

5/18/10 The day I got Student of the Year in Beginner Martial Arts

Many male and female fiddler crabs. RIP Houdini and Jade

1 male Zebra Finch, 1 unknown sex Bronzewing (possibly society) Finch, 1 male Orange Weaver Finch, and 1 female Orange Weaver Finch

1 male Chihuahua/Pug mix named Lucky

Various fish and tanks

Edited 5 Years Ago by Fishlover5
Fishlover5
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)Advanced Member (5,602 reputation)

Might as well have this topic deleted so it doesn't spam the forum if nobody's going to help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 male Zebra Finch, 1 unknown sex Bronzewing (possibly society) Finch, 1 male Orange Weaver Finch, and 1 female Orange Weaver Finch

Various fish and tanks

SKeith
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Females can carry sperm for long periods of time, so they could be fertile eggs. But sometimes females do lay eggs that are not fertile. How low is your water level in the tank? If you don't want mystery snails to lay eggs, you should keep the water level higher (but leave a little space at the top). Usually they want to lay eggs when there is 2-3 inches of room. Just raise your water level. If they do hatch, you can try to take them to a local fish store (not a chain store) and see if they will take them for you. I don't know if they will pay you for them, but some of the stores might give you a discount. Also, you might make a separate post on here to see if anyone lives in your area might want one.

SKeith
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)Average Member (982 reputation)

from another forum:

Females may or may not lay eggs after the male breeds her. Snails can carry sperm in their bodies for many weeks.

When ready to lay eggs, the female will climb up the side of the aquarium wall and leave the water. She will continue up as far as she can go, or about 3-4 inches.. depending on how much room she has. If you do not have a lid on your aquarium, she can and most likely will, fall out of the tank.

My snails enjoy laying their eggs near the light bulbs in the light canopy. The eggs are a small hard mass, usually pale creme in color. Though some other Pomacea species lay bright red, dark pink, lime green, and solid white eggs.

If eggs are kept warm and moist, baby snails will hatch on their own in about 2-3 weeks. Sooner if they are kept warmer. Baby snails will eat their way out of their egg cluster and drop down into the water. They look just like their parents, only tiny. It takes some color-varieties a few weeks before they show their adult coloring, but wild- and golden-colored babies look pretty much like their parents from day 1.

Sometimes the eggs won't hatch. This is usually due to lack of humidity, though sometimes a virgin snail can lay eggs which are infertile. Usually if you leave the eggs alone, and let nature take it's course, you will soon have alot of babies in your tank.

SKeith
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

Here are some other sites you might want to read on the subject:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/inv/blackmysterysnail.php

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/snail2.htm

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20Snails,%20Mystery.htm

http://home.mchsi.com/~masts/mystery_snails%20info.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baVUkkW-cEM -Just cool to watch

http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/snails.html

SKeith
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

Sorry, usually people post back quickly. You can also read some of the older threads on mystery snails in invertebrates. Some of them deal with the same issues your going through (this can give you other people's opinions on the subject).

Fishlover5
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Well, it's about 4 inches low. I don't really care if they lay eggs or ont I just want to know what to do with them. What place in hte forum sholud I post it under?

Various fish and tanks

SKeith
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

I just sent the moderator a email asking them if it was ok to post a post asking people if they would want your snails, some forums don't care, while others do. I'm sorry, I should have asked the moderator if that was alright to do that before telling you to do it. I'll let you know their response.

---------

You can start calling local non-chain pet stores around your area to see if they would want them (they would probably be in the position to take more of them). If the eggs are dried out and hard, I'm doubting that they will hatch.

Fishlover5
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

ll right thanks. I'll head off to the store today-tommorrow.

Various fish and tanks

SKeith
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

They said that they didn't have a problem with that. You can just post about giving the snails away once they've hatched in the invertebrates section. I would just state the city and state your in, but not your address.

For the title put : Baby Golden Mystery Snails need good homes

and in the subject, put something about them being free for pickup.

You could also post this in the general section as well.