brown spots on my yellow tang

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Saltwater Forums » Saltwater Emergencies » brown spots on my yellow tangJoin the Club

brown spots on my yellow tang Expand / Collapse
Author

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/22/2012 11:58:19 AM
i have a yellow tang, but hes got a few brown spots on him.... we just moved him a few days ago... and he had big brown blotches, but that i was told was him being stressed from moving... these spots are darker, and look more like freckles.... should i be concerned?

55 Gal (FW):
2 Common Goldfish (Yukon and Cornelius)
2 Mystery Snails (Blue and Gold)
1 Kissing Gourami (Spacey)
1 Common Pleco (Mr. Sucky)
1 Raphael Catfish (Kermit)

30 Gal (SW Reef):
1 Yellow tang
1 Pink/blue spot goby
1 Green Chromis
2 Coral banded shrimp
1 Urchin
mushroom and green star polyps.
Post #181719
Posted 6/6/2009 3:48:54 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 8/16/2013 8:29:18 AM
we definitely need pics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summer tiiime, and the livin's easy...
Post #181730
Posted 6/6/2009 4:08:39 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

my camera wont really show any details... but in a little bit i will post pics... there are only a few tiny spots and they are brown... not black, and his nose is a little brown too... he acts fine, and he still eats.

55 Gal (FW):

30 Gal (SW Reef):
1 Yellow tang
1 Pink/blue spot goby
1 Green Chromis
2 Coral banded shrimp
1 Urchin
Post #181752
Posted 6/8/2009 1:43:11 AM

Starting Member

sorry about the double post.... lately my tang has been paleer and he's doing a strange twist as hes swimming... i'm worried... i dont have anything to test the water... and unfirtunately i cant get any water for a water change for another few days...
HALP!

55 Gal (FW):

30 Gal (SW Reef):
1 Yellow tang
1 Pink/blue spot goby
1 Green Chromis
2 Coral banded shrimp
1 Urchin
Post #181812
Posted 6/8/2009 3:57:12 PM

Starting Member

he's begining to get notches in his fins... and looks like he's swimming into rocks and rubbing his face against everything and is spazing out... help what is wrong what should i do...
i did a water change just a few minutes ago and hes freaking out even worse!

55 Gal (FW):

30 Gal (SW Reef):
1 Yellow tang
1 Pink/blue spot goby
1 Green Chromis
2 Coral banded shrimp
1 Urchin
Post #181864
Posted 7/14/2009 9:41:43 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 1/31/2014 5:56:04 AM
How many gallons did you change out?  I wouldn't worry too much about him being stressed out after the water change becasue that is normal.  To make things easier for your tang would be to turn off the lights early and let him calm down.  You can always add a little bit of Stress Coat to your tank to also help.  The way your Tang is acting could be signs of Ich, although ich is usually white.  How is it eating?  Are you giving your Tang any algae supplaments?  You can secure some algae sheets to your live rock and let her pick at that for awhile.  That might bring back some of it's color.  When in doubt change your water is a good practice but for a 30 gallon tank only 10 gallons at a time.  Try to not add too much chemicals to avoid toxic water.  I hope that helps. 
Post #186175
Posted 7/15/2009 3:29:18 AM
Fishkeeping GURU

Fishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURU

Last Login: 2/23/2011 6:10:41 AM
It sounds like he has an external parasite, though I'm not familiar enough with saltwater diseases to diagnose. I hope you have a hospital tank because you really need to get that fish away from the others before they are all infected. Also, you need to pick up water test kits for (at the very least) ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and high range pH. You may be able to get away with keeping freshwater tanks without test kits, but saltwater you need them for. There is just too much that can go wrong, and the mistakes are extremely expensive. You also should always have water change water on hand. It doesn't have to be store bought either. You can buy sea salt and dechlorinator and mix it with your tap in a pinch (and depending on the quality of your tap water, you may be able to use it all the time...I do).

If you possibly can, get that tang in another tank by itself filled with water from this tank. Also, tell us a lot more about your set up (do you have invertebrates, live rock, etc) and definitely get those test kits and give us the water parameters before it is too late. I'd hate to see you lose all the fish, but it could easily happen. I'll see what I can do about figuring out what the brown spots may be.

Post #186184
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:39pm