Top Tank swimming Clownfish

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Saltwater Forums » A Place for Beginners » Top Tank swimming ClownfishJoin the Club

Top Tank swimming Clownfish Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/31/2014 5:56:04 AM
Just set up a small 20 gal saltwater aquarium.  Took my clownfish from my reef tank and placed him into his new enviroment.  Noticed that for the past few days he has been swimming around the top of the aquarium next to the filter.  I have a airstone in the tank so I know enough air is in the water.  Have a decent amount of rocks and hiding spots for him to hang out.  Just wondering why is he swimming up there.  Could be him getting used to his new surroundings but I just don't want to look in the tank and find him being consumed by my clean up crew.  Any ideas?
Post #182691
Posted 6/13/2009 6:00:00 AM
Fishkeeping GURU

Fishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURU

Last Login: 2/23/2011 6:10:41 AM
That freaked me out the first time I saw it too, but it seems to be a clownfish thing. When they are introduced into a new environment they tend to stick to the top, usually hiding around powerheads, filters, etc. I suspect it may be because they have not found an anemone, coral, or something else to host yet and for some odd reason it feels safe. I had a pair once that decided to "host" a powerhead at the top of the tank, and that is where they stayed for months, and before that they slept on their sides at the top of the tank (they looked kind of like they were floating dead...that really freaked me out). I wouldn't worry unless you see them gasping, or some sign of disease.

Post #182704
Posted 7/22/2009 7:14:45 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 7/22/2009 7:13:38 AM
Clowns act weird......
Post #186795
Posted 7/23/2009 11:29:30 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 6/7/2012 3:28:55 AM
Probably captive bred. I found captive bred ones do it more often (WC's do as well) and tend to never do much else since they only know captive life, and know food comes from the top.

Mine is captive bred and never leaves the top corner, he sits and waits til food gets dropped in, when it was in a 3 foot long tank he stayed in the same corner never moving more then 3 or 4 inches in any direction, now he is on a 10 gallon and does the same, never leaves his corner.

Mine is ever more weird then most, he love human attention and if I cup my hand just below the surface he/she will host it, no fear of me at all.

29 gallon f/w glowlight tetra's, 4 cories, Neon tetra, zebra danio.

29g f/w convict cichlid.

10g s/w Percula Clown

Post #186904
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 1:58am