Miniature Koi?

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » General Freshwater » Miniature Koi?Join the Club

12»»

Miniature Koi? Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/7/2012 3:28:55 AM
I was searching google for random gold fisha and koi pictures and came across a discussion about miniature koi that apparently stay under 6".

Anyone else hear of this or come across anything about it, the discussion on the other website just got me curious.

This is the discussions I stumbled across.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=364060

29 gallon f/w glowlight tetra's, 4 cories, Neon tetra, zebra danio.

29g f/w convict cichlid.

10g s/w Percula Clown

Post #188666
Posted 8/24/2009 1:28:27 PM

Fish Moderator

Fish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 3/7/2014 4:42:13 PM
I read through the whole discussion. I've never heard of such a thing before, but I have a hard time believing it's true. Even if they developed miniature koi, I don't think they can breed them down that small, even by hybridizing. That's ridiculously tiny compared to the normal maximum length.

I strongly suspect this is a store selling juvenile koi and hoping that stunting will keep them that small.

55 gallon
Baby - lionhead/ryukin cross
Westie - lionhead/ryukin cross
Speedy Rodriguez - oranda
Currently searching for a good new tankmate!

planted 29 gallon
3 red eye tetras
4 cherry barbs
2 cardinal tetras
4 albino cories
2 Bolivian rams
Post #188694
Posted 8/24/2009 2:06:24 PM

ModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModerator

Last Login: 6/21/2012 6:30:34 PM
I agree with princessotfu. I get lists from all over the Far East every week, where most of the koi are produced, and I have never seen "miniature" koi offered for sale.

Local Fish Stores -- "The Heart of the Hobby"  

Post #188702
Posted 8/24/2009 3:26:08 PM
Fishkeeping GURU

Fishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURU

Last Login: 2/23/2011 6:10:41 AM
I remember a few years ago reports circulating in aquarist circles of a miniature goldfish called a "china doll" that supposedly only grew to 2-3 inches. I never did see any proof that one existed, and most people who said they knew what they were said they were just another fancy goldfish that grew just as large. I guess AFM actually reported on them at one time but I never saw the article so I don't know what was said about them. Anyway, I suspect this miniature koi thing is a similar issue.

Post #188727
Posted 8/24/2009 6:42:05 PM

Actually, the "china dolls" do, in fact, exist. They come out of Singapore, and they are small fantail goldfish that never get much more than 2" total length. They come in three flavors -- gold, calico and black -- but they all have the telescope eyes. They were never very hardy fish, I suspect because they were so inbred -- but they really did, and may still, exist. The guy who transships my Far East fish has not been able to get them for me, but he just may not deal with the farm(s) that produce them.

Post #188757
Posted 8/25/2009 3:25:21 AM
Fishkeeping GURU

Fishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURUFishkeeping GURU

Last Login: 2/23/2011 6:10:41 AM
Are you sure they didn't grow any larger (and not just because they died young)? I was hearing a lot of reports at the time that they grew to normal fancy goldfish sizes.

Post #188769
Posted 8/25/2009 3:57:22 AM

Fish Moderator

Fish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish Moderator

I had heard that they got larger than the 2 inches commonly labelled, but were indeed still miniatures. I believe the pair I saw maxxed out at 4 inches.

55 gallon

planted 29 gallon
3 red eye tetras
4 cherry barbs
2 cardinal tetras
4 albino cories
2 Bolivian rams
Post #188771
Posted 8/25/2009 7:46:34 AM

When I started selling china dolls, which has to be five or six years ago, I put 6 of them in a 20 H. In four months they only grew a little, and were just about 2" overall. I think they are definitiely a miniature -- but I also think that they truend out not to be very hardy fish, probably because they were so inbred. There are a number of fish that have been introduced from the magic of the fish breeders where that has been the case. Two that come to mind are albino angelfish and long-finned rams. Both made a big splash, but it turned out that both were very weak fish, and you do not see them in the hobby much now, if at all.

Post #188776
Posted 8/25/2009 3:56:27 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 10/6/2009 4:16:05 PM
I've read when young fish are reared with adult fish the adults can release a pheramone which inhibits growth in the fry, sometimes with a more permanent result of the fry not reaching maximum size later on. It's just something I read though, and it was about guppies, so I don't know for sure if it is true or applies to other types of fish. One would think if it were true though we would see things like miniature Oscars or something. That would be awesome.
Post #188822
Posted 8/26/2009 7:11:27 AM

Fish Moderator

David, I don't know if I would necessarily expect normal growth from 6 goldfish in a 20g though.

55 gallon

planted 29 gallon
3 red eye tetras
4 cherry barbs
2 cardinal tetras
4 albino cories
2 Bolivian rams
Post #188833
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:01am