White Spot on Goldfish

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » A Place for Beginners » White Spot on GoldfishJoin the Club

White Spot on Goldfish Expand / Collapse
Author

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/6/2013 2:08:43 PM
Hello. My goldfish had a white cotton looking spot on his side and it fell off. Today I noticed he has another one. Does any one know what these spot's are? Thank-you.

Sincerely,

Heidi030@aol.com

Post #198037
Posted 2/6/2010 5:34:49 PM

Fish Moderator

Fish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 4/12/2014 5:24:43 PM
It sounds like the fish has  fungus.  Fungus shows up as a white growth on the fish,appearing sort of like cotton.  An infection of fungus often follows another infection or injury,usually on a fish's lips,body or fins.  Although fungus is not generally contagious,a fish suffering from fungus should immediately be moved to another tank and treated with fish medication that is specifically formulated for fungus. 

If I can help you any more. Just let me know.

Mr. Miracle Grow” for aquarium plants

Help those in our hobby to exceed beyond their expectations. 

Logistical Aquatic Engineer

Post #198039
Posted 2/6/2010 6:37:33 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 3/13/2011 7:10:35 PM
Findingjohn (2/6/2010)
It sounds like the fish has  fungus.  Fungus shows up as a white growth on the fish,appearing sort of like cotton.  An infection of fungus often follows another infection or injury,usually on a fish's lips,body or fins.  Although fungus is not generally contagious,a fish suffering from fungus should immediately be moved to another tank and treated with fish medication that is specifically formulated for fungus. 

If I can help you any more. Just let me know.

Wow ~ when one female platy in my tank got the fungus, it seemed like it was over night and it was practically her whole right side. She had just birthed some fry and then the fungus. No injuries, just birthing. I treated the whole tank. It seemed to work as no other fish had the problem and her fry are doing really well, but she died.

Teresa McNamara

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says, "Oh crap, she's up!"

Post #198040
Posted 2/6/2010 8:14:55 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 2/7/2014 3:30:10 PM
One day, you’re faced with one of your fish, who has patches of white fuzzy stuff on him and you start thinking to yourself, ” I need some medicine quick to kill this fungus, because if it’s white and fuzzy, then it must be a fungus, right?!” Wrong! White fuzzies that occur on otherwise normal skin and fins of a fish are much more likely to be due to a Flexibacter infection, which is a bacterial infection and not a fungal one. True fungus (Saprolegnia) can appear on open, raw or wounded areas, that is, it grows on dead tissue and it is seen much less often in the hobby than a Flexibacter infection is. The majority of fish medications with the word “Fungus” in their title actually contain antibiotics to kill bacteria! The fish drug companies know that most things white and fuzzy are not due to a fungus but rather are due to Flexibacter and although they give you the correct drug to treat the problem, they perpetuate the myth that all things white and fuzzy must be due to a fungus!
Flexibacter columnaris, most recently named Flavobacterium columnare, is a bacteria that grows in layers, one on top of the other, giving it the appearance of “columns” or “haystacks” under the microscope and this is what gives us the white fuzzy look with our naked eye. Flexibacter is a thin gram-negative rod bacterium that is an ubiquitous organism, meaning that it is ever-present in one’s tank water, though the organism will only cause disease in fish that are undergoing stress.

Rick

FEEDING TIME

Post #198043
Posted 2/7/2010 5:45:11 AM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 1/6/2013 2:08:43 PM
Hello. Thanks for all the help. The white fuzzy spot fell off and my fish doesn't have any more. I will keep a close eye on the fish. The fish is very active and eats well.

Sincerely,

Heidi030@aol.com

Post #198046
Posted 2/16/2010 4:56:57 PM

Fish Moderator

Fish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 3/7/2014 4:42:13 PM
Glad it didn't come back, that's a good sign.

Keep an extra-close eye on your water, the bacteria Cooltow posted is opportunistic mostly. If you keep the water pristine, it's much, much less likely you'll ever see that white spot again.

55 gallon
Baby - lionhead/ryukin cross
Westie - lionhead/ryukin cross
Speedy Rodriguez - oranda
Currently searching for a good new tankmate!

planted 29 gallon
3 red eye tetras
4 cherry barbs
2 cardinal tetras
4 albino cories
2 Bolivian rams
Post #198572
Posted 2/21/2010 8:39:54 AM

Starting Member

Last Login: 9/7/2010 1:42:31 PM
Cooltow1 is probably correct!
But, when my fish got a bacterial disease(ich) I went out and bought some Kordon Ich Attack, it also kills fungus! It worked great and now all of my fish are happy and healthy!
Happy Fish-Keeping!

F1sH-0-MaNiA!!!!!!!!!!!
Post #198865
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:20pm