Fish not swimming right, does anyone have an ideas?

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » Freshwater Emergencies » Fish not swimming right, does anyone have an...Join the Club

12»»

Fish not swimming right, does anyone have an... Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/23/2011 3:40:07 PM
This fish is usually very energetic but seems to be somewhat lethargic and having trouble staying upright. Any ideas? possible solutions? I wanna save the little guy if I can. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtW11dZ736E

-----------------------------

Tank #1
Marine36 Gallon Bowfront
30lbs Indonesian Live Rock
2 blue damsels
Peppermint shrimp
Hermit crab
Turbo snail
Frogspawn coral
Lots of green tube macro algae
Seaclone protein skimmer
Hob filter

Tank #2
Freshwater 29 Gallon Bowfront
Anacharis
4 Mickey Mouse Platys
1 Black Mollie
And Snails...everywhere...
Post #198827
Posted 2/20/2010 5:41:26 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 2/23/2010 1:41:18 PM
Looks like a swimbladder issue but im not sure, try changing the water more often (not saying that the water is dirty) but thats the only thing i can think of, perhaps one of the most experienced members on the fourm could specify the problem. hope it gets better

The greatest journeys start with a single step.
Post #198829
Posted 2/21/2010 8:18:00 AM

Ok, well I do a 1/3 water change every two weeks and the water parameters are good. Are there any other steps I can take to address a swim bladder problem?

Tank #1
Marine36 Gallon Bowfront
2 blue damsels
Peppermint shrimp
Hermit crab
Turbo snail
Frogspawn coral
Seaclone protein skimmer
Hob filter

Tank #2
Anacharis
4 Mickey Mouse Platys
1 Black Mollie
Post #198862
Posted 2/21/2010 9:10:48 AM

I think that there are some medications that you can use on this problem, but you will need a quarinetine tank unless you want to medicate the whole tank, other thank water changes and just general water parements there is really nothing you can do with a swim bladder problem. However, I would just keep an eye on this, make sure the water quality is good and keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite to make ure the fish is'nt stressed, ive had fish with a problem like yours and it eventually went away, and that fish is still living today (5 years), thats all i can say, but i think you fish will be alright

Post #198868
Posted 2/21/2010 9:13:53 AM

Actually, a bit of aquarium salt added to the tank might help 1 tblsp per 20gallons, mollies are brackish fish and a little bit of salt will help them a great deal if you dont have any in already 

Post #198869
Posted 2/21/2010 10:52:15 AM

Ok. I'll pick up a quarantine tank today and move him over to it for a while. I'm not sure if I will medicate or not...I hear that can further stress the fish. Do you know anything about that?

Tank #1
Marine36 Gallon Bowfront
2 blue damsels
Peppermint shrimp
Hermit crab
Turbo snail
Frogspawn coral
Seaclone protein skimmer
Hob filter

Tank #2
Anacharis
4 Mickey Mouse Platys
1 Black Mollie
Post #198872
Posted 2/21/2010 11:15:41 AM

yes the fish will be stressed, to help counter this take the water that goes into the quarentine tank from the origional tank there in, you just need a 1gallon bowl with a small heter, etc,etc. the way that i see it this is better than treating the whole tank. As i said before, salt will go a long way with mollies, as they are brackish water fish.

Post #198875
Posted 2/21/2010 6:38:34 PM

Will putting him in brackish water shock him? Also should I slowly ween him back to fresh water after that? Sorry to keep asking questions but I want to make sure I don't make things worse for him

Tank #1
Marine36 Gallon Bowfront
2 blue damsels
Peppermint shrimp
Hermit crab
Turbo snail
Frogspawn coral
Seaclone protein skimmer
Hob filter

Tank #2
Anacharis
4 Mickey Mouse Platys
1 Black Mollie
Post #198883
Posted 2/22/2010 8:19:37 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 6/6/2011 6:47:45 AM
I think it's swim bladder as well.... Here are a couple of links with suggestions on how to handle swim bladder disease.

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/swim_bladder.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.flippersandfins.net/SwimbladderDisease.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/what-is-wrong-with-my-fish.html#Buoyancy

[size=4]Floating and Sinking[/size]

Definition
There are times when we can find our fish either sitting on the bottom incapable or hesitant to swim around, or other times the fish is floating at the top sometimes even flipped over. These problems of buoyancy are complex and often quite serious. GAB has a good article discussing buoyancy.

Causes and Treatments

Water Quality

Floating or sinking can be caused by poor water quality. Many people think that high nitrate may cause floatiness in goldfish. So if you notice buoyancy problems, check your water parameters and perform water changes if necessary. These tests are best done with your own testers. As a minimum you need to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. If you need help interpreting the tests, please visit GAB's Water Quality Forum.

Constipation

If your fish lose control of their swimming, they may be constipated. Some fish that are constipated may bottom sit. Take care to check the nutritional requirements for your fish. Do not over feed. If you think constipation could explain the symptom, fast your fish for 3 days. You may try to feed a piece of pea after the fasting period.

Gassiness

Many people believe that when fish get floaty, excess gas in their digestive system may be the cause. Fish could get gassy by swallowing too much air or by eating food that releases gasses in the digestive system. Read more about food and gas here. If the fish is floaty, avoid feeding foods that may cause gas (such as soy or wheat products). Floaty poop may be a further indication of gas in the GI tract.

Infection

Illness can cause buoyancy problems. Internal infection can interfere with the fish's ability to regulate gas density in the air bladder and cause buoyancy problems. If there are signs of infection (e.g. lack of appetite, lethargy, redness, etc), feed medicated food, or if the fish is not eating add a broad spectrum antibiotic to the water. For larger fish, antibiotic injections are preferred. Bacterial infections are often secondary to wounds caused by parasites such as flukes, so if you have access to a microscope, doing a scrape and scope to look for parasites is recommended.

Air-Bladder malfunction

The air-bladder (or swim bladder) is not a very well understood organ. It seems to be linked to sensory functions like hearing, and some fish use it to produce sound. For fish that have air bladders, the organ is also used to control buoyancy. The gasses inside the bladder (which are not air) are compressed or decompressed (probably through the tissue outside). See explanation in this article. It is possible that ailments (bacteria, parasites, virus) may cause buoyancy problems, either by affecting the small blood vessels that feed gasses into the swim bladder or because as the fish is too weak to use the muscles around the air bladder. Water quality (like high nitrite or nitrate) may also cause the fish to experience buoyancy problems. Internal cysts and tumors may also cause swim bladder malfunction by physically compressing the organ.

Genetic problems

Some fish (like fancy goldfish) are bred to have short round bodies and this may cause the fish to have less room for vital organs such as the air bladder. As a result the fish may experience buoyancy problems. Some fish may also have deformed swim bladders.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.al3ez.net/upload/c/ahmad_saadeldin_A-Z%20Fish%20Diseases.pdf

Swimbladder:

This is a disease that affects the fish’s swim bladder. Swim
bladder disease is sometimes caused by deformed bladder, parasite infestation,bacterial infections or constipation.

Symptoms:

Fish swim side-ways or rest on bottom and can't go to surface. Loss
of balance and/or abnormal swimming

Treatment:

This is also a hard disease to treat; there is also a product around
called Paragon II by Aquatronics® that supposedly aids in treatment of swim bladder disease. Raise the temperature; add appropriate medication for swim bladder. Note this is a disease that is rarely curable.
Treat with Melafix every fortnight and salt everyday and a water change every fortnight... not the same day as putting in the Melafix. Feed Hikari Betta Pellets. All these treatment were done by me and most of them worked just fine. The treatment also worked with that fish that had the problem so please don't blame me if you try the same treatment to a different fish and it doesn’t work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/swimbladder_betta.php

Post #198888
Posted 2/22/2010 1:11:32 PM

Put his tank in freshwater and then slowly ween him to and from brackish water

Post #198901
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:03pm