Fish Channel Logo

Profile Picture

Fish Poop

Posted By clairey 4 Years Ago
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Most of my fish, especially the Algae Eaters are leaving behind really long strings of poop all over my tank it looks ghastly and sometimes its still attached, snagging on plants etc, what causes this, is it constipation and how can i remedy the problem, my fish seem healthy otherwise Discus are breeding and the rest show no other signs of ilness or discomfort, just the unsightly long trails of poop. help!w00t 

Findingjohn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fish Moderator

Fish Moderator (4,254 reputation)Fish Moderator (4,254 reputation)Fish Moderator (4,254 reputation)Fish Moderator (4,254 reputation)Fish Moderator (4,254 reputation)Fish Moderator (4,254 reputation)Fish Moderator (4,254 reputation)Fish Moderator (4,254 reputation)Fish Moderator (4,254 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday @ 5:40 PM
I have the same problem with my one oscar.  He does alot of poop.  What kind of filter are you using on your fish tank and the size of your fish tank?   What type of food are you feeding them and how much? I do not see anything wrong with your fish. I do not think you have enough water movement to keep things moving around so the filter will pick it up.  You also may not have a strong enough filter. I just need a little more information on your fish tank please.

Mr. Miracle Grow” for aquarium plants

Help those in our hobby to exceed beyond their expectations.  Smile

Logistical Aquatic Engineer

Edited 4 Years Ago by Findingjohn
Cichlasoma_hollywoodi
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

Average Member (684 reputation)Average Member (684 reputation)Average Member (684 reputation)Average Member (684 reputation)Average Member (684 reputation)Average Member (684 reputation)Average Member (684 reputation)Average Member (684 reputation)Average Member (684 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hey!! You didn't say what your other fish are, but if the algae eaters are constantly pooping it just means there's plenty of vegetable material or uneaten food in your tank for them to feast on.  I have the same issue with my quartet of female platies.  They're constantly picking on algae all day long, whereas the other fish (non-plant eaters) only eat at feeding time.  Naturally, the platies always have a long green "thread" hanging down.  They're very healthy, though ... and if your tank is healthy enough to get discus to spawn, I'd say you're doing everything right. 

. . ___///// "My Dempsey can

. / @ ) ) ) ) beat up your Dempsey"

.> .... ) ) ) ) ///

. \___) ) ) ) \\\

. . . . \\\

princessotfu
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fish Moderator

Fish Moderator (6,589 reputation)Fish Moderator (6,589 reputation)Fish Moderator (6,589 reputation)Fish Moderator (6,589 reputation)Fish Moderator (6,589 reputation)Fish Moderator (6,589 reputation)Fish Moderator (6,589 reputation)Fish Moderator (6,589 reputation)Fish Moderator (6,589 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Lots of poop and long poop just means they're well-fed. Actually, you could probably back off the feeding just a bit. Fish don't have very complex digestive systems, so the faster the poop is getting pushed out, the less nutrition the fish is getting from it.

55 gallon

Baby - lionhead/ryukin cross

Westie - lionhead/ryukin cross

Speedy Rodriguez - oranda

Currently searching for a good new tankmate!

planted 29 gallon

3 red eye tetras

4 cherry barbs

2 cardinal tetras

4 albino cories

2 Bolivian rams

leobayr
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fish Moderator

Fish Moderator (2,417 reputation)Fish Moderator (2,417 reputation)Fish Moderator (2,417 reputation)Fish Moderator (2,417 reputation)Fish Moderator (2,417 reputation)Fish Moderator (2,417 reputation)Fish Moderator (2,417 reputation)Fish Moderator (2,417 reputation)Fish Moderator (2,417 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
princessotfu (2/23/2010)
Lots of poop and long poop just means they're well-fed. Actually, you could probably back off the feeding just a bit. Fish don't have very complex digestive systems, so the faster the poop is getting pushed out, the less nutrition the fish is getting from it.

I have to agree with princessotfu I think you are feeling to much. My friend told me I was doing the same thing. He said to feed about the same size as the eye of the fish. Took me a while to understand this but if you look at the eye judge the size and add the food in accordance to you judgement

http://board.fishchannel.com/Topic208662-16-1.aspx

Fish keeping is not a hobby but a way of life
Building a 135 gallon reef tank
Barracuda 4300gph by sequence pump
Built an 8 bulb 55 watt 10,000 k light with 4.5 watt moon light
30 gallon sump with a 30 gal. remote refuge
mini bubble king EV180 Protein skimmer
Smooooth
40 gallon Planted
4 Altum Flora Discus
11 plants ,4 Ghost shrimp,1 Clown & 1 Bristol nose Pleco
1 Zebra Apple Snail
Ehiem 2213 canister filter
Hydor 425 powerhead
Ehiem Jager 200 watt heater
t-5 compact 6500k light
Neptune Systems Aquacontroller jr

PLEASE PM ME IF YOU WISH

Phishgirl
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (490 reputation)Junior Member (490 reputation)Junior Member (490 reputation)Junior Member (490 reputation)Junior Member (490 reputation)Junior Member (490 reputation)Junior Member (490 reputation)Junior Member (490 reputation)Junior Member (490 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Poop is only a cause for concern if it is stringy and white (this can mean digestive problems, although it can sometimes come about if the fish has been fasting). Camallanus worms look like stringy pink tufts protruding from the vent.

Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching. -Scott Adams