BLACK HAIR-LIKE ALGAE? ON FAKE PLANTS

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » General Freshwater » BLACK HAIR-LIKE ALGAE? ON FAKE PLANTSJoin the Club

BLACK HAIR-LIKE ALGAE? ON FAKE PLANTS Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/21/2011 5:16:04 PM
I have a couple of fake plants in my main tank.  Recently I've been removing this black hair-like stuff from some of these plastic plants.  Have not seen it on any of my real plants.  Is it algae or maybe the plastic is breaking down that seems far fetched.

ONE LOVE
Post #205875
Posted 6/20/2010 10:01:09 AM

Fish Moderator

Fish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 4/12/2014 5:24:43 PM
It is a form of algae.

Mr. Miracle Grow” for aquarium plants

Help those in our hobby to exceed beyond their expectations. 

Logistical Aquatic Engineer

Post #205887
Posted 6/22/2010 3:00:55 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 4/3/2014 11:36:44 PM
Are the "hairs" really short, about 1/4", but really thick like fur?  That stuff is hard to remove!!  You literally have to scrape it off bit by bit from the surface it's growing on. 

I had a problem with extremely long hair-like algae but it was bright green.  Actually, it wasn't really a problem ... in fact I let it keep growing just to see how thick the growth would get.  It was like a huge ball of green cotton candy!  The fish loved playing in it.  I finally cut it back with scissors before it took over the whole tank.  I've never had that type grow again ... 

. . ___///// "My Dempsey can
. / @ ) ) ) ) beat up your Dempsey"
.> .... ) ) ) ) ///
. \___) ) ) ) \\\
. . . . \\\

Post #205949
Posted 6/22/2010 6:02:34 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 2/7/2014 3:30:10 PM
Black brush or "beard" algae (Audouinella and other species) are Red Algae, or Rhodophytes. Black brush algae is the frustrating bane of some well-managed long-running aquariums. It's slow to get started, but so tenacious it can't be removed from its favored sites along the edges of broad slow-growing leaves (Anubias is a favorite) without damaging the leaf. Bit by bit it swamps the tank; it's difficult to eliminate.
The best single long article on red algae and how to avoid it and deal with it is by Neil Frank "Control of red algae in the freshwater aquarium" in a 1996 article in F.A.M.A., Nov and Dec 1996, The article is archived at the
Aquatic-Plants Digest

Rick

FEEDING TIME

Post #205951
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 1:59pm