Can Betta Fish eat any kind of human food?

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » General Freshwater » Can Betta Fish eat any kind of human food?Join the Club

Can Betta Fish eat any kind of human food? Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/23/2010 11:08:38 AM
I'd like to mix it up a bit. It seems so boring for them to eat the regular Betta bites every day, so can Betta's eat any sort of people food?

~ ~ ~ MY TWO BETTA FISH ~ ~ ~

Epcot & Mickey Mouse!

Post #205978
Posted 6/23/2010 12:21:44 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/3/2011 10:55:16 AM
they can most probably eat frozen peas, but you'd have to take the outside off first and you would have to unfreeze them. If you do give them peas, don't leave them in for very long. also they might not eat them.

50 gallon heavily planted bowfront
Albino Cory Catfish: Magikarp
Bristol Shubunkin: Zane
Ryukin: Tweak
Calico Fantail: Circe
2 assorted cories
Rubber lipped pleco- Munchlax

tall 25 gallon being set up

non-fish pets:
13 year old Rottweiler: Buggsy
9 year old English yellow labrador: Morgan
2 hermit crabs: Phoebe(foe-bee) and Holden
10 year old thoroughbred gelding: Scottie
I'm so busy lately with new(ish) tanks, school, and work..
Post #205979
Posted 6/24/2010 2:15:08 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 12/6/2010 10:56:43 PM
There are some wonderful frozen and freeze-dried fish food varieties out there that Betta's love.  Emerald Entre' gives them both vegies and seafood, and there's a host of other frozen choices (bio-encapsulated varieties are awesome).  Some freeze-dried treats include krill and various shrimp species.  I suggest you avoid bloodworms all together, but some say they're ok if fed very sparingly on occasion.

Both options are much better for fish than over-processed manufactured food.  At home, many vegies can be used, as well as unseasoned cooked seafood.  There are also lots of recipes for homemade fish food online that you may want to try.

Whatever you decide, be sure to research the dietary requirements of Bettas so you provide a balanced diet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
}}=':> Melody <:'={{
AllNaturalPetCare.com

Post #206008
Posted 6/24/2010 11:07:14 AM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 2/10/2013 10:09:40 AM
I'm glad to see that you are interested in giving your Betta a variety!

Try feeding your Betta frozen foods like brine shrimp, bloodworms, squid, etc. I think if you try that you would be surprised how your fish reacts; he'll probably show some more color, and act a little more lively. Plus they love it!

Good luck
Post #206019
Posted 6/24/2010 5:19:32 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 4/3/2014 11:36:44 PM
Can they or will they???  My girlfriend has a betta who's a very fussy eater.  We would like him to even try other fish foods but he refuses.  We tried brine shrimp, worms, flake, other kinds of pellets, and grated tuna.  It's betta bites or nothing for him.  Plus, he has to be fed one pellet at a time dropped right in front of his face.  If it sinks to the bottom, he won't go after it.  And he insists we give him time to crunch on it before he'll eat another one.  What a diva!! 

BTW fishy68 your bettas are beautiful!   

. . ___///// "My Dempsey can
. / @ ) ) ) ) beat up your Dempsey"
.> .... ) ) ) ) ///
. \___) ) ) ) \\\
. . . . \\\

Post #206026
Posted 6/24/2010 6:35:23 PM

Last Login: 3/13/2011 7:10:35 PM
Cichlasoma_hollywoodi (6/24/2010)
Can they or will they???  My girlfriend has a betta who's a very fussy eater.  We would like him to even try other fish foods but he refuses.  We tried brine shrimp, worms, flake, other kinds of pellets, and grated tuna.  It's betta bites or nothing for him.  Plus, he has to be fed one pellet at a time dropped right in front of his face.  If it sinks to the bottom, he won't go after it.  And he insists we give him time to crunch on it before he'll eat another one.  What a diva!! 

BTW fishy68 your bettas are beautiful!   

My male Betta is exactly the same way. If it sinks he won't touch it! He likes nothing more than to be fed when he wants it! He'll sit at the front of the tank until I stand there with his food, then swim to the back, flaring & flashing ~ what a hoot!

Teresa McNamara

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says, "Oh crap, she's up!"

Post #206028
Posted 6/24/2010 11:50:18 PM

Last Login: 12/6/2010 10:56:43 PM
Many Bettas will eat much better if they are competing with other fish, including off the bottom.  They'll also eat more enthusiastically if there's water movement and a heater.  Some are just fussy, I'm sure, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
}}=':> Melody <:'={{
AllNaturalPetCare.com

Post #206030
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:15am