Large Tetras...

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » Freshwater Fish Species » Tetras » Large Tetras...Join the Club

12»»

Large Tetras... Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/28/2010 1:42:05 PM
Hi there. About a month ago I received a 55 gal. aquarium. All of my community fish originally fit in a 10 gal, so right now I have plenty of space to get some new fish. I originally intended to get some neon or cardinal tetras, or even order some celestial pearl danios. I decided against these because I have an angelfish who's getting bigger everyday. Okay, so here's my question: does anybody have any suggestions of larger tetras that are just as colorful and enjoy schooling as the little guys? Thankyou!

"I choose to live, not just to exist."

-James Hetfield

Post #207071
Posted 7/21/2010 10:24:36 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 3/9/2013 8:54:35 PM
Are you only considering tetras? Or can we suggest others. Buenos Aires Tetras get about 4". I'm not sure what else
Post #207107
Posted 7/22/2010 7:48:25 AM

ModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModerator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 12/31/2013 2:43:51 PM
Oh, you have a LOT of options here! One is simply to keep small tetras in large groups. Fifty rummynose tetras or cardinal tetras in a big, shady, well-planted tank will put on a show that matches anything you'll see in a public aquarium! Silver hatchetfish also come into their own in large "swarms" and will generally be hardier and live longer kept in big groups.

Or you could use the extra space for those tetras that need lots of swimming space. Two that spring to mind are the Congo tetras and the African red-eye tetra (Arnoldichthys spilopterus). Both of these should be easy enough to obtain, and while the latter is occasionally a bully, the Congo tetra is very peaceful and works great with things like Angelfish and gouramis. Nurse tetras used to be common choices for large tanks, but I haven't seen them in UK shops for a few years.

I'm a big fan of bleeding heart tetras. If you have a nicely planted tank and water that is soft to moderately hard, they're a reliable, very durable species. Adult size is around 5 cm/2 inches. They mix with all sorts of things, and in my experience do well even with South American puffers! Given the right conditions their warm pink colour is very intense, and much different to the pale, washed-out colour you see in pet stores.

Silver dollars wouldn't be my pick for a 55 gallon tank. They're just too big, and in a tank that small they'd stay alive, sure, but they'd always look crowded.

Cheers, Neale
Post #207114
Posted 7/22/2010 8:08:44 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 10/20/2012 9:58:59 AM
I had celestial pearl danios or as I prefer to call them... apetizers. Those guys are beautiful but so darn small. The angel would definitely eat those. I would take a look through a couple fish websites. There are "giant danios", rainbow fish, congo tetras,...all great options.

Post #207116
Posted 7/22/2010 8:50:04 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 8/21/2011 7:52:03 AM
yeah,
congo, buenos aires, red eye, bleeding heart, all mentioned and all good.
some others would be serpae (spelling?), black/red phantom, black skirt which come in many varieties i believe. you mentioned neons or cardinals, similar to those but bigger would be black neons, or emperor tetras, they both have a bright lateral stripe that neons and cardinals also have.

what fish do you have in the tank now?

29 gal: 2 mollies, >15 guppy fry, >10 molly fry, 1 farlowella cat
20 gal:  2 pearl gouramis,  7 cherry barbs, 1 female crowntail betta, 6 female guppies, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, 1 bumblebee catfish
10 gal: 2 black kuhli loaches, 11 male guppies
10 gal: >15 guppy fry, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 nerite snail
5 gal: 1 celestial pearl danio, 1 male 1 female guppy, 1 nerite snail
2.5 gal: 1 male crowntail betta

Pond: some sunfish, some flagfish
Container Pond (20g): least killies

Post #207118
Posted 7/22/2010 12:44:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! My tank currently has a swordplant, milfoil, javafern, and a little anubias that's getting leaves much faster than I expected. I'm gonna get one or two more plants soon, so anything that likes plant cover and won't get eaten would definitely have a ball. Someone mentioned giant danios, but they get REALLY big, and I've heard that they'll terrorize oscars with their playfullness. I love the colors in the neons and cardinals, but there are also American Flagfish and dwarf gouramis that come in the same colors (maybe not as neon, but whatever!). I will definitely check out the black and emperor tetras today! Thanks.

-James Hetfield

Post #207128
Posted 7/22/2010 12:49:40 PM

Oh, and lilcherna, I currently have three adult moons (and two of their larger babies), one halfblack angelfish, two danios (I will be getting more as soon as I get to the store), and a Julli Cory catfish (ditto with the danios). There's also a red veiltail beta, but he's in a breeder trap because he literally tries to tear my other fish to bits!

-James Hetfield

Post #207129
Posted 7/23/2010 8:15:06 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 8/21/2011 7:52:03 AM
X) i have flagfish myself, ilovethemm lol. theyre more comparable to dwarf gouramis than neons with their colors. and if you do get some keep in mind your male to female ratio and try not to keep more than one male. this may be different in a tank as big as yours but im not sure because what ive seen theyre pretty...outgoing...
moons? do they go by another name because i dont think ive heard of them. do you mean silver dollars?
more danios and cories is very good. have you thought about another angel fish? angels usually like to shoal. but thats up to you

29 gal: 2 mollies, >15 guppy fry, >10 molly fry, 1 farlowella cat
20 gal:  2 pearl gouramis,  7 cherry barbs, 1 female crowntail betta, 6 female guppies, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, 1 bumblebee catfish
10 gal: 2 black kuhli loaches, 11 male guppies
10 gal: >15 guppy fry, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 nerite snail
5 gal: 1 celestial pearl danio, 1 male 1 female guppy, 1 nerite snail
2.5 gal: 1 male crowntail betta

Pond: some sunfish, some flagfish
Container Pond (20g): least killies

Post #207165
Posted 7/23/2010 9:03:17 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 8/16/2013 8:29:18 AM
Colombian tetras, bnos aires tetras, and bleeding hearts are all nice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summer tiiime, and the livin's easy...
Post #207168
Posted 7/23/2010 1:42:15 PM

Yeah, I'm going to get one or two more angels soon. When I bought the one I currently own, he was the only one that hadn't gotten nipped at by the other fish at the store. About the moons- that's just a fancy name for platy fish, describing their tails. Does anybody have any experience with blind cave tetras, diamond tetras, or rummynose tetras (or are rummynose too small, too?)? Hatchetfish were a good suggestion.  I'll definitely do more research before I make my decisions.

-James Hetfield

Post #207193
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:49am