Can Betta Fish Eat Lettuce?

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » Freshwater Fish Species » Bettas » Can Betta Fish Eat Lettuce?Join the Club

12»»

Can Betta Fish Eat Lettuce? Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/12/2011 7:25:50 AM
Hi, guys .

My aunt has a betta fish and she wanted to know if they can have lettuce in their tank with them.

Also, is there any way to tell the age of a betta fish when you buy it?

Thank you guys so much.

"They are proving that if you play the game your way long enough, you will eventually change the rules for everyone else."
Post #209116
Posted 9/6/2010 4:09:17 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/6/2012 12:15:29 PM
Lettuce doesn't have much nutrients. Plus I doubt they could eat it as tey are carnivores, or at least wouldn't want to. I don't think you can age them specifically just young or oldish.
Post #209127
Posted 9/6/2010 5:48:49 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 11/28/2010 1:42:05 PM
My bettas don't even eat algae flakes, so lettuce is out for them. Try meaty stuff. They go nuts for bloodworms, even the freeze dried stuff! As a staple mine get Tetracolor and shrimp flakes, and I've had both my bettas for nearly two years, so go figure. I think betta fish would have a tough time tearing lettuce apart anyway.

"I choose to live, not just to exist."

-James Hetfield

Post #209148
Posted 9/6/2010 5:50:10 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Wait, lettuce to eat or to have floating in the tank?

-James Hetfield

Post #209150
Posted 9/6/2010 5:57:07 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/6/2012 12:15:29 PM
I thought that too. Do you mean as a decoration?
Post #209156
Posted 9/7/2010 8:58:46 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Well, she keeps snails in the tank with him, and it's for them to eat, lol.
So she just wanted to know if it was ok to have the lettuce in the water with the fish .

One more thing:

She wanted to know how much food is too much/too little. Like how much should they be getting a day?

You guys are all so great.
When she said she needed help with her fish, I was like "Oh I know this great website...."

"They are proving that if you play the game your way long enough, you will eventually change the rules for everyone else."
Post #209168
Posted 9/7/2010 11:39:20 AM

ModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModeratorModerator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 6/21/2012 6:30:34 PM
Most bettas you find in stores are probably 8 -- 10 weeks old. They can live to be 2 -- 3 years. They need a very small amount of food, since they are fairly inactive. I feed the bettas in my wholesale fishroom once a week, and change their water the day after I feed.

Local Fish Stores -- "The Heart of the Hobby"  

Post #209173
Posted 9/7/2010 3:32:14 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 8/16/2013 8:29:18 AM
[quote]GlitterGuppy2008 (9/7/2010)
Well, she keeps snails in the tank with him, and it's for them to eat, lol.
So she just wanted to know if it was ok to have the lettuce in the water with the fish .

One more thing:

She wanted to know how much food is too much/too little. Like how much should they be getting a day?

You guys are all so great.
When she said she needed help with her fish, I was like "Oh I know this great website...."
[/quote]

i agree with david on the betta food part. as for snails, if you just have tiny pond snails, dont bother feeding them anything. theyll eat algae and betta food and... basically all organic matter.

mystery snails however need veggies, algae wafers, and a cuttlebone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summer tiiime, and the livin's easy...
Post #209181
Posted 9/7/2010 5:37:16 PM

Yeah, what they said . But I think David lass said that bettas could live 2-3 years- they can actually live for longer, five years being a good amount. It's just that everybody keeps them in those little betta bowls without heaters or filtration, and overfeed them. I have a betta in my ten gallon and a betta in my 55 gallon, and like I said I've had them for a couple years already. Love my bettas!

-James Hetfield

Post #209186
Posted 9/8/2010 7:06:30 AM

Ok )) I'll be sure to tell her Thank you so much!

Yeah, I had a betta named Koi (he looked sort of like a koi with his pattern. Original, I know, haha), and he lived for like 4 years. Loved that fish. It was so tragic when he died .

Post #209199
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:58pm