Fish Channel Logo

Profile Picture

Pregnant cory catfish?

Posted By jreidsma 4 Years Ago
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Starting Member

Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi,

How do you tell if a cory catfish is pregnant? I have four in a ten gallon tank. Two albino and two of the peppered "original" ones. And the one albino one just keeps getting fatter and fatter and kind of reminds me of when guppies get pregnant.

Thanks

Koiangel
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (1,426 reputation)Senior Member (1,426 reputation)Senior Member (1,426 reputation)Senior Member (1,426 reputation)Senior Member (1,426 reputation)Senior Member (1,426 reputation)Senior Member (1,426 reputation)Senior Member (1,426 reputation)Senior Member (1,426 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Cory cats aren't live bearers. they lay eggs.

If you look at them from above the female corys are much fatter than the males and most likely are carrying eggs.

if you do a water change and lower the temperature it could trigger spawning but they will eat the eggs soon afterwords so you must move the eggs to a different tank..

You can call me Lily. thats my nickname on every forum I have ever been on. BigGrin

jreidsma
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Starting Member

Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)Starting Member (226 reputation)

Hi,

I knew they had eggs Smile I even looked up the pictures of them to know what to look for. But no matter what I searched there was no website I could find that said anything about how to tell if one was pregnant.

Three (one albino, and the two peppered ones) are kind of skinny looking, not like starving skinny but a healthy looking skinny. And then this one albino one looks like it's stomach is wider then it body is. . Its stomach is a white color a little lighter then its body. It looked a lot bigger yesterday, but today it looks skinnier.

Thanks

Neons4ever
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fishkeeping GURU

Fishkeeping GURU (11,286 reputation)Fishkeeping GURU (11,286 reputation)Fishkeeping GURU (11,286 reputation)Fishkeeping GURU (11,286 reputation)Fishkeeping GURU (11,286 reputation)Fishkeeping GURU (11,286 reputation)Fishkeeping GURU (11,286 reputation)Fishkeeping GURU (11,286 reputation)Fishkeeping GURU (11,286 reputation)

Is it dropsy?

jreidsma
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Starting Member

No it isnt sick or anything, just alot fatter then the others are. So I figured it might be pregnant.