Do some fish recognize their people?

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » General Freshwater » Do some fish recognize their people?Join the Club

Do some fish recognize their people? Expand / Collapse
Author

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/17/2013 10:35:29 AM
I have several tanks in my home. Most of them contain fish that swarm to the front as soon as anyone walks by in hopes of being fed. Some even hope to be fed by the cat. However, the fish in my brackish tank act completely differently. When I approach the tank, they all come to the front looking for food. I think my scat would jump out and and help himself if he could. The fish in this tank respond the same way to my husband and daughter. Here's the interesting part. When "strangers" approach their tank they all hide, including the scat who is one of the most gregarious fish I've ever owned. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, with what kind of fish?

Jenn

70 gallon brackish
90 gallon community with Honduran Red Points and Rosy Tetras
30 gallon with breeding pair of Gold Angels
1 crazy escape artist blue lobster
7.9 gallon Red Cherry Shrimp only
30 gallon with breeding pair of Honduran Red Points
Various grow-out tanks
A few other small tanks with a bit of this and that
Post #219329
Posted 3/8/2011 7:35:48 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:49:00 PM
Hi Jenn,
Absolutely! Some species are clearly more sentient. You are enjoying the benefits of keeping Scats, Monos and Archerfish. In my opinion, Archerfish are the most intelligent fish I’ve encountered. But all three species are ‘bright’ and definitely recognize friends. Unlike many species, they will shy away from strangers regardless if food is offered. I find this to be the case with my turtles too. Your fish have obviously become members of the family and that is good. Enjoy your fish! SGN

Post #219330
Posted 3/8/2011 8:32:55 AM

Fish Moderator

Fish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 3/25/2014 3:28:24 PM
I agree With SGN I have a tank at work that has one cichlid in it and it starts to dance around the tank when it sees me and when other come in it sort of cowers in the corner until all the movement stops then venture out to watch, and it slowly move around not going to far from the corner but as soon as they leave it starts to jet around the tank like it is at the park for the first time.

http://board.fishchannel.com/Topic208662-16-1.aspx

Fish keeping is not a hobby but a way of life
Building a 135 gallon reef tank
Barracuda 4300gph by sequence pump
Built an 8 bulb 55 watt 10,000 k light with 4.5 watt moon light
30 gallon sump with a 30 gal. remote refuge
mini bubble king EV180 Protein skimmer
40 gallon Planted
4 Altum Flora Discus
11 plants ,4 Ghost shrimp,1 Clown & 1 Bristol nose Pleco
1 Zebra Apple Snail
Ehiem 2213 canister filter
Hydor 425 powerhead
Ehiem Jager 200 watt heater
t-5 compact 6500k light
Neptune Systems Aquacontroller jr

PLEASE PM ME IF YOU WISH
Post #219335
Posted 3/8/2011 9:05:43 AM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

My blue lobster shows a variation on the same behavior. When my husband looks into his tank, he takes up a definite defensive posture with claws at the ready. When I look at him, he stands up tall with claws and feelers to the sky waiting for a snack. He tries to catch the food as it falls through the water. It's the cutest thing! I love that little guy! I guess the hubby isn't bad either.

Jenn

70 gallon brackish
Various grow-out tanks
Post #219338
Posted 3/8/2011 1:10:11 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 4/3/2014 11:36:44 PM
You betcha!  My Dempsey did the same thing.  He'd get all excited when I'd come in the room, but if a stranger came in he'd go hide in his cave. 

During the rainy season I'd go dig earthworms out of the yard and feed them to him.  I kept the worms in a plastic tray in the refrigerator.  He got to the point that when he'd see me walking toward his tank holding that tray, he'd go crazy. 

As for fish crowding around the front of the tank, I like to remind people that fish have no concept of "glass" - they see no reason why they can't swim out to where we are, and they never seem to understand that weird invisible "forcefield" they're always bumping into.

. . ___///// "My Dempsey can
. / @ ) ) ) ) beat up your Dempsey"
.> .... ) ) ) ) ///
. \___) ) ) ) \\\
. . . . \\\

Post #219345
Posted 3/8/2011 4:21:10 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 2/7/2014 3:30:10 PM

Sure they do, check out Cuddles

FEEDING TIME

Post #219364
Posted 3/8/2011 5:14:30 PM
Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 2/21/2013 6:54:53 PM
My roommate had a 8 year old oscar who hated her friend Annie. First time she came into the fish room on her own she shouted "Hey! There's something wrong with your fish. He looks sick." when I went to check he was perfectly normal, swimming around looking at me for food. As soon as I left the room she went back in and started yelling again. When I returned there he was normal as always. So I left the room sent her back and peeked around the door where he couldn't see me. Sure enough as soon as it was just her and Oscar in the room he laid over on his side and sank to the bottom. he would get up as soon as I came back in, but with just her he would do it every time.

I also had an arrowana that would splash and pitch a fit whenever my roomate got too close to his tank. She put up the Christmas tree too close to the tank one year. he held a grudge.

Post #219367
Posted 3/10/2011 2:25:07 PM

Starting Member

SGN, I smell an interesting article......

Jenn

70 gallon brackish
Various grow-out tanks
Post #219445
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:31pm