Treating Driftwood

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » Everything but Livestock » Treating DriftwoodJoin the Club

12»»

Treating Driftwood Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/26/2012 6:24:46 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows how to properly treat driftwood to go into your aquarium.  I have heard that you should soak it in water for 30-60 days to leech the tannins and make sure it will stay submerged.  So I really have two questions:

1.  Is there anything else I should do to treat the driftwood?

2.  While soaking the driftwood would it make sense to use dechlorinated water to do so, or does that not matter?

25 Gallon Planted Community with 6 Neon Tetra, 6 Glowlight Tetra, and 2 Peppered Cory
Post #229389
Posted 9/27/2011 9:56:57 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/21/2013 5:24:14 PM
Buxguy83 (9/27/2011)
I was wondering if anyone knows how to properly treat driftwood to go into your aquarium.  I have heard that you should soak it in water for 30-60 days to leech the tannins and make sure it will stay submerged.  So I really have two questions:

1.  Is there anything else I should do to treat the driftwood?

2.  While soaking the driftwood would it make sense to use dechlorinated water to do so, or does that not matter?

I place the driftwood in a container,pour a couple of kettles of boiling water over the wood(kills any unwanted guests),then I fill the container with water from the tank(this gives me a reason for an extra water change),then I let it sit for 24-48 hours rinse with declorinated water and put it into the tank. A lot of people worry about tanins,but the thing most don't think about is how much the fish like the water after the tanins are in it

Shakespere says...to be or not to be?

Fish hobbiests say....To buy or not to buy!

Post #229393
Posted 9/27/2011 2:00:25 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 1/26/2012 6:24:46 AM
Thanks!

Do you ever run into issues with the driftwood remaining submerged after only soaking 24-48 hours?  And if so what do you do to keep the driftwood submerged?

25 Gallon Planted Community with 6 Neon Tetra, 6 Glowlight Tetra, and 2 Peppered Cory
Post #229401
Posted 9/27/2011 4:48:17 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Buxguy83 (9/27/2011)
Thanks!

Do you ever run into issues with the driftwood remaining submerged after only soaking 24-48 hours?  And if so what do you do to keep the driftwood submerged?

It all depends on the type of drift wood I use. Usually I buy my wood from my LFS and buy the mopani and other heavy woods that sink right away and stay sunk. If the wood I get is not the sink&stay sunk type I use slate to keep it down.Sometimes I buy wood that is basicly used in reptile tanks and all I do with that is wrap a few peices of plany wieghts to it until it has soaked up enough water to say down on it's own. Hope this helps. One other thing to try(for ordinary) wood is to just put it in a pail or tote that is big enough to hold it,fill witl water and just let it soak till it sinks and stays down then transfer it to the tank(do change the water occasionally though

Post #229405
Posted 9/27/2011 6:19:53 PM

Fish Moderator

Fish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 4/12/2014 5:24:43 PM
I normally buy my driftwood from a aquarium store. I let it soak until the water is clean. If it has not sank yet. I will just put it in the aquarium until it does. I just let it fall by it self. It looks more natural. You could run Co2 in it at a very high rate until the Co2 tank runs dry. This is what I have done with wood I have found on the beach. So far no problems with doing this.

Mr. Miracle Grow” for aquarium plants

Help those in our hobby to exceed beyond their expectations. 

Logistical Aquatic Engineer

Post #229409
Posted 9/27/2011 8:19:56 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 4/14/2012 8:46:34 PM
The quickest way to treat driftwood is if you have a pot big enough, simply boil it for 1-2 hours.  This usually removes all the tannin's, and causes no harm to your wood.  I do this with mopani and malaysian driftwood.  I've never had any issues with the wood or tannin's after doing so either.

My mind always tells me I'm young.......yet every morning when I get out of bed.......my body proves I'm very very old!

Post #229416
Posted 9/28/2011 2:25:43 PM

Fish Moderator

Fish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 3/7/2014 4:42:13 PM
I do the same as most here - pour boiling water over it in a bucket, then let it soak in that.

I generally let it soak for 3-4 days though, and pour in more boiling water any time the water is cold and I have time to heat up water. The water usually looks like very, very, very weak tea by this point. That's the mark I use for it being ready to put in the tank. That 30-60 days bit is for people who don't like ANY color to their water whatsoever.

I have gotten wood from the yard and park, and also bought it from the store. I haven't seen much different between the two, except that the wood I get from around the yard tends to lose its bark when boiled - which I don't mind.

55 gallon
Baby - lionhead/ryukin cross
Westie - lionhead/ryukin cross
Speedy Rodriguez - oranda
Currently searching for a good new tankmate!

planted 29 gallon
3 red eye tetras
4 cherry barbs
2 cardinal tetras
4 albino cories
2 Bolivian rams
Post #229425
Posted 9/30/2011 11:00:57 PM

Last Login: 2/1/2012 8:22:45 PM
You should always rinse the wood before putting it in the tank, but the tannins are not going to hurt the fish at all - in fact, many fish love tannins. (It kind of gives the tank a more natural 'lake bottom' look too.)

If you use carbon in your filter, that will help take the tannins out of the water anyway, so the effect won't last too long.

As for soaking it so that it gets water logged... that depends on the wood. I know someone who's had a massive piece in their tank for a year and it still floats. She has to use rocks to hold it down. That's always an option if it wants to float, that or some other type of weight that won't rust in the tank.

20g - Horn Wort, Hygro Polysperma, Giant Hygro, Hygro Difformis, Java Fern, Moss Balls, Amazon Sword, Ozelot Sword, Java Moss, Christmas Moss, Dwarf' Sag, Needle Leaf Java Fern, Lutea Crypt, Parva Crypt, Crypt Wendtii Brown, Dwarf Red Lily, Duck Weed (2 types) - Fire Honey Gourami (3), Cardinal Tetra (6), Oto Cat (3), African Dwarf Frog (2), Amano Shrimp (6), Cherry Shrimp (1), Assassin Snail (4) and multiple babies

36g Bow Front - Horn Wort, Hygro Difformis, Hygro Polysperma, Giant Hygro, Amazon Sword, Melon Sword, Java Fern, Moss Balls, Needle Leaf Java Fern, Java Moss, Christmas Moss, Lutea Crypt, Crypt Wendtii Brown, Crypt Wendtii Mi Oya, Chain Sword, Micro Sword (Regular and Narrow Leaf) - Angelfish (2) - 1 Marble Veil Tail, 1 Standard Silver Striped, Harlequin Rasbora (9), Clown Pleco (2), Mystery Snails (6) - 2 Gold, 1 Black, 3 Ivory. Pest Snails (numerous - food for Assassin Snails)
Post #229493
Posted 10/1/2011 11:47:00 AM

Findingjohn (9/27/2011)
I normally buy my driftwood from a aquarium store. I let it soak until the water is clean. If it has not sank yet. I will just put it in the aquarium until it does. I just let it fall by it self. It looks more natural. You could run Co2 in it at a very high rate until the Co2 tank runs dry. This is what I have done with wood I have found on the beach. So far no problems with doing this.

Had a friend who did that....it just dropped one day really quick and HARD,cracked the bottom glass in the tank

Post #229509
Posted 10/4/2011 11:43:05 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 2/21/2012 1:37:51 PM
I am glad Buxguy asked this question. now I learned something today and would also not be worried about adding driftwood now.

Bri

I Never met a fish I did not like, especially wrapped in seaweed and a little soy sauce.

Post #229639
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:05am