whats a good bottom dwelling fish?

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » General Freshwater » whats a good bottom dwelling fish?Join the Club

whats a good bottom dwelling fish? Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8/24/2012 11:16:55 PM
My 20 gallon tall tropical tank is running low on fish and I am planning on restocking it next week. Currently it has 1 panda cory, which is old so it might die soon, and about 8 or so rummy nose tetras. I would like to get a small to medium sized bottom dwelling fish other then panda corys because they seem to keep dying rather quickly, how long is their life span?
any way what other good corys or plecos would do good in a 20 gallon tank?

I was thinking of maybe getting some clown plecos, the ones that get to only 3 inches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<'))))-{ <`)))-{

<"((((-{ <;;;;-{ }-)))'>

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"
Winston Churchill

30 gallon convict cichlid tank
Fish 5 female convicts and 6 male convicts

20 gallon tall tropical tank
Fish 7 rummy noses, 1 panda cory, 5 serpea tetras, and 1 rainbow shark

15 gallon
Fish 1 female convict cichlids with her babies

20 gallon long
Fish 4 N. Multies shell dweller cichlids, 1 juvenile, and 4 babies!

10 gallon
Fish 1 pink male convict and his babies

Betta named Sonic
Post #231835
Posted 12/23/2011 12:11:55 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 8/16/2013 8:29:18 AM
Well you definitely could go with a clown pleco trio. Or you could try some kuhlii loaches (several), or a few Botia striata/zebra loaches.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summer tiiime, and the livin's easy...
Post #231836
Posted 12/26/2011 8:17:16 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 1/10/2012 3:09:39 PM
If you have any intention of upgrading tanks in the future I would most assuredly get a ghost knife fish.  I have one in my 30 gallon and he will lift some of the rock substrate to get what he wants.  Amazing fish and when they warm up to you theyre smart

Otherwise a fire eel or a red tailed shark might be sufficent as they both bottom dwellers, from my experience.

Post #231915
Posted 12/26/2011 9:48:39 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 8/16/2013 8:29:18 AM
I wouldnt recommend a black ghost knife or a fire eel for a 30gal tank.. fire eels can get a couple feet long and 2 inches thick. and the big ones are active. definitely not for a 30gal.
BGKs can also get quite large, even too big to turn around in a 30gal..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summer tiiime, and the livin's easy...
Post #231916
Posted 12/27/2011 8:47:38 AM
Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 2/21/2013 6:54:53 PM
Niether one of those are what you'd probly think of as "bottom dweller", and as stated earlier, the fire eel will get WAY to big for a 20 and probly eat the rummynose tetras, and a redtailed shark will get too territorial in a 20 that is a little small for it.

Cory cats shouldn't be dying quickly, you may have some water perameter problems for them. Clown plecos, or rubbernose plecos are a good pleco for a smallish tank. They don't get very big and are relatively cheap. You could get a peaceful cichlid like a bolivian or german ram, or Krib to scavenge the bottom.

Post #231917
Posted 1/3/2012 4:01:29 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/20/2014 4:14:16 PM
If the cories are dying off quickly it is most likely because of the gravel. If the gravel is too large or too sharp they will not do well. Fine substrate or sand does not necessarily mean it is soft either. If it's not soft enough then their barbels will wear off.
Post #232016
Posted 1/5/2012 9:59:01 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 8/24/2012 11:16:55 PM
I have fine sand as the substrate so that isn't the problem. I think some of them died because they got stuck inside a decoration or in a plastic plant. either they died by getting stuck or they were already dead from some other cause and were just in the plant. Anyway I still have one panda cory left and might get some more and see if they survive better.
There were 2 left for a long time and they actually had babies but sadly the babies did not survive.
another factor could have been that they died of old age. how long do panda corys typically live?

I might get a clown pleco or a zebra botia.

I wouldn't get a fire eel or the red tailed shark because I know those grow way to big for a 20 gallon tank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<'))))-{ <`)))-{

<"((((-{ <;;;;-{ }-)))'>

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"
Winston Churchill

30 gallon convict cichlid tank
Fish 5 female convicts and 6 male convicts

20 gallon tall tropical tank
Fish 7 rummy noses, 1 panda cory, 5 serpea tetras, and 1 rainbow shark

15 gallon
Fish 1 female convict cichlids with her babies

20 gallon long
Fish 4 N. Multies shell dweller cichlids, 1 juvenile, and 4 babies!

10 gallon
Fish 1 pink male convict and his babies

Betta named Sonic
Post #232034
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:16am