baby white sturgeon/baby paddlefish

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Community Forums » Announcements » baby white sturgeon/baby paddlefishJoin the Club

baby white sturgeon/baby paddlefish Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/14/2012 7:45:28 PM
Does anybody know where i can find some of the fish.  I really would love to have atleast a baby sturgeon or two.  If you have any info PLEASE comment
Post #233735
Posted 5/9/2012 8:07:46 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:49:00 PM

Forgive me if I am wrong here but isn't the White Sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) on the Endangered Species List? If this is what you are refering to I suggest you contact your local fish and wildlife service and see if you can volunteer to assist them rather than trying to illegally keep any.

SGN

Post #233739
Posted 5/11/2012 3:46:16 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 8/16/2013 8:29:18 AM

different species here- http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+2533&pcatid=2533

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summer tiiime, and the livin's easy...
Post #233747
Posted 5/11/2012 3:29:53 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 12/16/2012 1:14:36 PM
sorry to stick my nose in. But I have to ask fish413 if you have done any research on the two fish species in question? The white sturgeon grows to a length of 6.1m (20 ft) and a weight of 816kg (2659lbs) using the minimum rule for responsible fish keeping the tank would have to be 80 ft long, 40 ft wide, and 30 ft high. housing aside they are on the endangered species list and it would be irresponsible to illegally have one as a pet. The paddlefish grows to 5 ft and about 60 lbs. The problem with keeping this large fish is there feeding habits. They are filter feeders and reportedly impossible to keep in captivity. They are also considered declining numbers in north america and extinct in china and in canadian waters (The great lakes). Just trying to give you something to think about. People trying to keep fish that will get way to large to keep is kind of my pet peeve.

I will not buy fish this time, I will not buy fish this time, I willnt buy fish this time, I willt buy fish this time, I WILL BUY FISH THIS TIME.

Sometimes my addiction gets the best of me... did I say sometimes

Post #233752
Posted 7/19/2012 7:53:28 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:49:00 PM
Okay Pleco, I see what he is talking about now. Glad it is a species from a pet dealer and not something scooped from a waterway. Thanks!
SGN

Post #234706
Posted 10/27/2012 6:09:24 AM

Last Login: 12/16/2012 1:14:36 PM
Not sure if you ever found the sturgeon you were looking for. A small company that I have had many dealings with is advertising Acipenser Ruthenus its a dwarf sturgeon that grows to approx. 4ft long. completely doable in a monster fish tank. The companies name is Onaga Aquatics & Killifish Emporium if you look him up on google he will come up. I've gotten several fish from him and never had a bad one give these sturgeon a look.

I will not buy fish this time, I will not buy fish this time, I willnt buy fish this time, I willt buy fish this time, I WILL BUY FISH THIS TIME.

Sometimes my addiction gets the best of me... did I say sometimes

Post #236204
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:11pm