Help!!!! Algae Problems!!!

FishChannel Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Freshwater Forums » General Freshwater » Help!!!! Algae Problems!!!Join the Club

Help!!!! Algae Problems!!! Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8/16/2012 6:55:18 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone can help me with this cause i have been going crazy with this problem. In my previous 26 gallon tank i was having problems with my water being green. the tank was only 2 and a half months old and i didn't have algae on the tank just in the water. it got so green that i couldn't see the fish i purchased this algae remover and it took the green out but the water has been hazy ever since. Last weekend it started getting green again but i was in the middle of switching tank. i purchased a 46 gallon tank . The aquarium place told me to use my old water from the tank which was starting to get green. i only used half of it and filled up the rest with fresh water. The tank has been up since last Saturday and im already starting to see a bit of green in the water.
it's not from over feeding cause i only feed every other day. my lights are only on about 8 hours. and my water ph, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all good. does anyone know what could be the problem .

Thank you
E
Post #235115
Posted 8/17/2012 11:15:39 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 10/20/2012 9:58:59 AM
Can you tell us more about your type, wattage of your lights, age/type of bulbs? What is your feed schedule and volume? What are the quantities and sizes of your fish? What is the filtration you have? What kind of ambient light do you have? What are your exact ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

Post #235120
Posted 8/17/2012 11:38:18 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 2/20/2014 6:29:17 PM
^ I ditto that response

Blub, Blub, Blub!

20 gallon: 5 Cardinal Tetras, 1 Albino Cory,, 4 anubius, Valisneria Americana and Valisneria spirals, 2 Amazon Sword,Red ludwigia, Money wort, and tons of Java fern!!w00t:
Going to get Frogbit, Dwarf Sag and Either Anacharis or Water wisteria or Water sprite
Planning on Getting 4 or 5 Praecox Rainbow fish!
And 2 otocinclus and Maybe something else.....

Pond (60 Gallon) Shutdown untill May!
In garage: Blue water Iris, Chamleon plant, Pink pickrel rush, and Red stemed parrots feather.
1 white Sarssa comet
1 Shubunkin
1 Common goldfish (Was a feeder)

Other pets: 2 budgies, 1 yappy Long haired Dachshund and Kitkat my Killer Cat!

Aiming to get another tank!

Tank leak deaths: 1 Cardinal Tetra, 1 Pepper Cory, 1 Albino Cory, 2 originals, A few Java fern and Almost killed my Big Amazon sword.....Almost. (Has only three leaves but white roots)

R.I.P Mr.Blubs My Red Ryukin Goldfish
Post #235124
Posted 10/10/2012 8:47:05 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 11/22/2012 8:21:11 AM
I had the same problem with GREEN WATER in my 75 gal tank and I bought a UV sterilizer and filter combo with a skimmer all in one at TRU AQUA.  I couldn't believe it but within about 5 days the tank was perfectly clear. I guess you could buy just a UV sterilizer but the combo worked great.  I liked the skimmer also but you have to make sure you keep your water level up

norm
Post #235912
Posted 10/12/2012 3:41:46 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 4/3/2014 11:36:44 PM
Eight hours a day is a lot of light unless you're growing live plants.  If the tank is near a sunny window you might try to shade that side of the tank with some dark construction paper or something.  But doing a lot of water changes can actually accelerate algae growth, which is what I think you're seeing now. 

. . ___///// "My Dempsey can
. / @ ) ) ) ) beat up your Dempsey"
.> .... ) ) ) ) ///
. \___) ) ) ) \\\
. . . . \\\
Post #235979
Posted 10/25/2012 10:54:59 AM

Last Login: 10/25/2012 10:54:59 AM
     I had this problem once. I bought a Phosphate test kit and found that the Phosphate was high. I discovered that though the lights are on 12 hours a day (On a timer), this was not the problem. I stopped feeding the fish as much, and less often, used a good Phosphate remover, bought 3 Clown Plecos, added 3 tadpoles, and my problem disappeared.

What is your source of water? You didn't say. Some municipal water suppliers aren't all that great. 

The tadpoles were given to me by the LFS I shop at who stated that the tadpoles come in with every shipment of Goldfish from their supplier in MO, check with your LFS about this. Now that winter is coming on, you may have to wait until spring.

The tadpoles did NOT add diseases to my tanks and the only thing tadpoles eat is algae.

The benefit of tadpoles is that they will eventually morph into polywogs and then frogs. I set up a 20L with construction sand covering about 1/3 of the bottom at a depth of about 4 inches. I wedged a piece of slate in the bottom to hold it all together and filled the remainder of the tank with water to a depth of 3 inches and I use a semi- submersible filter to keep the water clean. 

I feed the frogs crickets and nightcrawlers and I'm hoping that I have a male and a female so that they will lay eggs and I will have a lot of tadpoles, not that I have a lot of algae any more. I still have another tadpole that hasn't morphed yet so I'll wait and see.

The way I see it, since the tadpoles are offspring of frogs that are native to the US and to the state of WV (Which is why the municipal water supply is not what it should be) where I now live, I'd be raising frogs that would probably be free of Kitrid, a fungus that is affecting and killing entire species of frogs worldwide. I've checked with the WVDNR who stated that I can release them into the wild around here and improve the chances of survival of our native frogs. 

It does sound kind of strange, but give tadpoles a try.   

Post #236167
Posted 10/25/2012 12:28:49 PM

Fish Moderator

Fish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish ModeratorFish Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 3/7/2014 4:42:13 PM
Tadpoles do not eat algae.

Also, if you change three to five different things at a time, it would be difficult to nail down which one actually helped the algae problem.

55 gallon
Baby - lionhead/ryukin cross
Westie - lionhead/ryukin cross
Speedy Rodriguez - oranda
Currently searching for a good new tankmate!

planted 29 gallon
3 red eye tetras
4 cherry barbs
2 cardinal tetras
4 albino cories
2 Bolivian rams
Post #236171
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, afmweb, Animal Network Admin, Suprafa, urchin, FishChannel Moderator, princessotfu, David Lass, Community Moderator, leobayr, Findingjohn, nmonks, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 5:05am